What Parents Need to Know
Parents need to know that kids will probably be bored by this movie when they aren't scandalized by its adult themes: It shows families as many of them really are -- filled with people who are struggling to understand their connection to and love for people they don't understand or really like. There's plenty of swearing, and at one point Joanne launches into a tirade about how disgusting and perverted it is that her brother is in love with another man. Claudia kisses her boss after being fired. Claudia's teenage daughter announces that she's going to have sex with her boyfriend while her mother's away for the holiday.
- Families can talk about any similarities they have to the Larson family. How does this movie compare totraditional "holiday classics"? Which do you prefer?
- Do you feel disconnected from your family members? What do you do tocreate closeness and understanding between family members who are verydifferent?
- Does being different have to mean hating one another?
- Howwould you resolve a similar situation?
- How does Tommy's family inBoston differ from his birth family?