Sequel Buzz: 'Alien: Paradise Lost' Plot Details; Plus: The Future of the 'Terminator' Franchise

Sequel Buzz: 'Alien: Paradise Lost' Plot Details; Plus: The Future of the 'Terminator' Franchise

Oct 08, 2015

Prometheus

Director Ridley Scott is in a good mood! And why not: The Martian, his most recent production, has received critical acclaim and topped the box office this past weekend. So the filmmaker is ready to talk about his next film, Alien: Paradise Lost, a follow-up to his Alien prequel Prometheus.

Scott confirmed that the sequel will begin with survivors Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender on their way to the home world of a mysterious alien race known as the Engineers. In an interview with Awards Campaign, Scott stated:

“It’s going to be its own separate thing because they are going to the planet of the Engineers and they are going to see what happened there. It was a disaster. And they will be in that alien craft that takes them there, but with a new group that’s incoming, a new group of travelers in the beginning of the first act.”

Scott did not detail who that new group might include, though it's easy to speculate and/or dream that Ellen Ripley (played by Sigourney Weaver in past Alien installments) will be on board. We suspect that Ripley may not rejoin the series until the next installment, assuming that goes forward as rumored, but it's fun to think of her character adding to the suspense and drama.

Production is scheduled to get underway in March 2016. Alien: Paradise Lost is set for release in theaters on May 30, 2017.

 

Terminator Genisys

Meanwhile, the forward momentum of another science-fiction franchise has been in question. This summer, Terminator: Genisys earned "only" $89 million at the U.S. box office, which was considered disappointing in view of its reported production budget of $155 million. Overseas, the movie grossed more than $350 million, which paints a much brighter picture. Still, a recent report claimed that the movie would lose money, and sources said "the notion of a Terminator universe is on hold indefinitely."

Producer Dana Goldberg (on set, above, with Arnold Schwarzenegger) disputes that report, however, according to The Wrap. “I wouldn’t say on hold, so much as re-adjusting," she stated earlier this week. She clarified that production on the next installment would not begin early next year, as once planned, and added: "We’re ultimately happy with overall worldwide numbers. Do I wish we would have done better domestically? Absolutely." Towards that end, she said that plans are underfoot "to do a worldwide study and really talk to audiences about what they loved, and what maybe didn’t work for them, so that the next we take with the franchise is the right one.”

The takeaway is that we can expect more Terminator movies, and maybe a television series, although no dates have been set. As John Connor said in Terminator 2: Judgment Day, "The future's not set."

Categories: News, In Development, Geek
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement

Facebook on Movies.com