Perhaps the fact that The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’s promotional campaign is in overdrive leading up to the film’s November 22 release is scaring other marketing efforts off because we only got a small handful of new trailers this week. While there were three strong candidates worthy of Best Stuff honors, just two deserved the title of the Worst, so we gave that vacant spot to a piece that was far from the worst, but also couldn’t quite crack the top three either.
The Best Stuff
1. Divergent: The abundance of cold exposition in the Divergent teaser raised some concern, but the film’s brand new full trailer is absolutely brimming with intriguing background information and it’s all delivered within the context of the narrative. The familiarity of the nerves that come with taking a big test creates an instant connection, but just when you think you’ve got your footing, the intensity of Tris’ Aptitude Scene completely rattles the world, making for a natural and compelling transition into the action overload involved in becoming Dauntless.
2. Maleficent: All hail Angelina Jolie! Normally it’s not a good thing when a trailer leans on its powerhouse cast, but the first teaser for Maleficent is so well composed that the combination of the piece’s foreboding tone and Jolie’s star power absolutely explodes in an exceptionally powerful single exchange – “I am not afraid.” “Then come out.” “Then you’ll be afraid.”
3. Noah: The first trailer for Darren Aronofsky’s Noah is slow to start, but ultimately builds enough suspense and momentum that the piece’s abundance of pretty pictures goes from stand-alone works of art to beautiful frames that also bear a significant amount of heart due to their place within the story.
Not the Best, but Worth Watching
1. Beautiful People: Sick of home-invasion movies? How about zombie films? But I bet you’ve never seen a home invasion/zombie crossover! Check out this very NSFW trailer for Brini Amerigo’s Beautiful People. Raven Banner Entertainment just scooped it up at the American Film Market and it’s no wonder because based on this promo, Beautiful People could be low-budget, gore gold.
The Worst Stuff
1. Tar: James Franco and Mila Kunis got bored and felt like cozying up on a set for fun. That’s what the first trailer for their upcoming release Tar feels like. The mushy material is charming to a point, but when two minutes and six seconds of it feels like too much, it’s impossible to manage lasting through an entire feature of that, typing and little more.
2. Cuban Fury: We can’t dub this a bad trailer, but considering Cuban Fury stars both Nick Frost and Chris O’Dowd, it isn’t half as hilarious as it should be. From a structural standpoint, the trailer would have benefited from introducing the core component of the narrative – the salsa dancing – far sooner, but the bigger issue is that few of the dialogue-driven or physical gags are laugh-out-loud funny; they’re just mildly amusing.
What are your favorite and least favorite movie trailers this week?
MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB: