After last week’s trailer lull, things are starting to pick up as we near the summer season. We’ve even got a stellar new entry for a fall 2013 release! Get ready because Brady Corbet, a tacodile supreme and a demonic game of hide and clap are coming your way.
The Best Stuff
1. Simon Killer: In just two minutes and 13 seconds the new teaser trailer for Antonio Campos’ Simon Killer dishes out loads of exposition and solidifies a slick tone, both courtesy of an impeccable beat and well-timed editing. Odds are this won’t be a career launcher for Brady Corbet like Martha Marcy May Marlene was for Elizabeth Olsen, but Campos does look to have Corbet’s back, showing him off as a capable and compelling leading man.
2. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2: Shrimpanzees and mosquitoasts and tacodile supremes, oh my! This first Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 trailer could be double -- even triple -- the length and still hold your attention thanks to the seemingly endless amount of wildly creative food/animal crossovers. But even beyond the novelty of creatures like the piece of cake and super-cute leek, the trailer does suggest the full film could have a solid amount of genuinely amusing jokes, too.
3. The Conjuring: Could James Wan have done it again? Based on the first trailer for The Conjuring, the odds are certainly in his favor. Rather than pound on the plot points, The Conjuring’s marketing team goes the slow-burn route, letting us test the waters by experiencing a fully realized scare. No blood, no gore, just a seemingly innocent family game with terrifying results.
The Worst Stuff
1. Planes: This first teaser trailer for Disney’s Cars spin-off Planes feels a bit like the poor man’s Turbo - and Dane Cook’s Dusty isn’t nearly as adorable as Ryan Reynolds’s Turbo. Cute factor aside, even with high-flying planes, this mere one minute and 26 second piece is actually kind of boring, feeling more like a plane animation reel with a lame payoff than a video designed to establish a connection between the audience and the latest Disney hero.
2. Something Real and Good: The new trailer for Something Real and Good is as insipid as the title. Boy meets girl at an airport, load on the coincidences, drown the piece in unrealistically cute activities, and live happily ever after. Why are we supposed to want to see this?
3. Peeples: Peeples should be retitled Tyler Perry’s Meet the Parents. Even with Kerry Washington and Craig Robinson on the roster, this promo suggests Tina Gordon Chism’s directorial debut is nothing new, running with overused jokes and making them even more grating via over-the-top performances and tacky trailer editing.
What are your favorite and least favorite movie trailers this week?