What’s better than a little vicious gore and some animated innocence for your best movie promos of the week? Certainly not the dull quartet, the cut-and-paste Miley Cyrus and the blurry carnage that make up the worst.
The Best Stuff
1.Wreck-It Ralph Trailer: As if the basics of Wreck-It Ralph aren’t charming enough, theatrical trailer number two suggests this isn’t just a movie rocking an appealing core concept; it’s a well thought-out world that’s just oozing with nuance, heart and nostalgia. Cue FUN’s “Some Nights” at the most opportune time, and you can add chills to that list, too.
2. Frankenweenie Clip: Forget content and performances -- stop-motion animation makes any material magical. But, even better, based on this first clip from Frankenweenie, the material in Tim Burton’s latest looks to match the wildly palpable visuals. Mr. Rzykruski certainly sells the tough teacher act, but his method isn’t just ranting and raving, it’s ranting and raving in a manner that bears a smart and eerie degree of truth.
3. Texas Chainsaw 3D Trailer: The new trailer for Mama is good, but Texas Chainsaw 3D has the benefit of being part of one of the most iconic slasher franchises out there. Really, does the story look all that original? Did the characters get any smarter? Is there anything that suggests the 3D will make Leatherface creepier? No, no and no, but this is Texas Chainsaw; the mere thought of having more is a thrill.
The Worst Stuff
1. A Late Quartet Trailer: I’m not all that into orchestral music, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy a movie about string musicians. I kind of liked The Concert! But regardless of the topic, a trailer featuring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Christopher Walken and Catherine Keener should be more engaging than this. Instead we get musicians whining about relationships and their place amongst the group, and a trailer that can’t be elevated from melodrama even with the help of a Walken voiceover and rousing music.
2. So Undercover Poster: Sorry Miley Cyrus, but after the whole LOL debacle, you’re just not allowed to deliver a poster like this, or a movie like this, period. Cyrus playing a girl in a sorority? Totally believable. Cyrus playing a private eye going undercover in a sorority? Just check out So Undercover’s first poster to get a sense of how big a disaster this could be.
3. Aftershock Clip: As a dedicated Eli Roth ran, the first clip from his latest, Aftershock, comes as a disappointment. The images released thus far are crisp and bloody, but this snippet of earthquake destruction is a low-resolution mess with a very staged feel, somewhat along the lines of The Final Destination’s opening disaster.
What are your favorite and least favorite movie promos this week?