Perhaps dropping trailers for both Identity Thief and Heat the same week wasn’t a bright idea. I could just picture Melissa McCarthy running back and forth from one set to the other, swapping wigs along the way. Still, both do feature some funny gags, they’re just not funny enough to crack the top three.
The Best Stuff
1. Turbo Teaser Trailer: I could just pinch Turbo’s cheeks! Do snails have cheeks? Either way this first teaser trailer for DreamWorks’ Turbo is downright adorable and quite amusing too, courtesy of the simple-yet-poignant juxtaposition between the big-time human racers and poor little Turbo who considers crossing a finish line mere inches away in 17 minutes quite the feat.
2. A Haunted House Poster: As someone who could do without another tacky spoof movie hitting theaters, especially another one featuring Marlon Wayans, I was positive A Haunted House would plague the Worst Stuff section up until its January 11, 2013 release. However, as much as it pains me to give the film any credit, this spoof on the poster for Sinister is pretty funny.
3. This Is 40 Featurette: Who doesn’t love a good dance party? Well, actually, as a non-dancer I don’t, but this “Dancing Machine” featurette for This Is 40 makes shooting the nightclub scene look like a blast and, in turn, suggests it’ll also be a blast in the full feature. Big grins at the actors and hockey players’ expense all around!
The Worst Stuff
1. Tyler Perry’s Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor: Tyler Perry movies are either your thing or they’re not, but that doesn’t excuse the trailer for his latest, Confessions of a Marriage Counselor, for having a personality disorder. One minute it’s selling a dramatic romance and then, with just 30 seconds left, it plunges into severe melodrama, trying to sell a domestic-abuse angle.
2. Jack Reacher Car-Chase Clip: This clip from Jack Reacher isn’t all that bad, but it certainly isn’t as enthralling as a car-chase sequence of this scale should be and I’m eager to put the blame on one very odd shot choice. What’s up with those singles on Tom Cruise and David Oyelowo where they only take up a third of the left portion of the screen? All of the other footage is standard car-chase coverage, so when those come in, it’s totally distracting.
3. The Smurfs 2 Trailer: It’s only a minute and 33 seconds of Smurfs silliness and I’m already cringing. The narrator Smurf bit isn’t funny, Hank Azaria is just way too hard to look at as Gargamel and the male half of the Naughties looks like he’s gunning for most irritating character of 2013. And to think, The Smurfs 3 is already in the works.
What are your favorite and least favorite movie promos this week?