After all the hype, a little something beyond a blurry Superman in cuffs and a rather familiar looking destruction shot would have been nice, but while the posters for Man of Steel and Star Trek Into Darkness fell short, at least one of the two made up for it with a truly wicked first teaser trailer.
The Best Stuff
1. Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser Trailer: J.J. Abrams, you are officially forgiven for that mean trick you played while on Conan back in October. Not only does the Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer offer up a rapid-fire sequence of picturesque and explosive imagery, but it also functions as a character piece, both highlighting the villain and packing the power to make you feel his wrath.
2. Side Effects Viral Site: You know those silly quizzes in magazines that claim to tell you your ideal celeb shopping buddy, what kind of dog you should own, which One Direction member is your perfect match or something ridiculous like that? The opening of the viral site for Steven Soderbergh’s Side Effects has that same, well, effect. You know Jude Law can’t diagnose depression, but you just can’t help playing along.
3. Les Misérables Clips: Les Misérables is promotional gold. With so many famous faces and songs, it’s virtually impossible to spoil the movie and also quite easy to get longtime fans hyped and lure in newcomers simultaneously. For example, Samantha Barks may not be a household name just yet, but “On My Own” is a song that transcends the show, having carved out a place in popular culture.
The Worst Stuff
1. G.I. Joe: Retaliation Poster: Who can blame Paramount for wanting to plaster the face of People’s Sexiest Man Alive all over the new poster for G.I. Joe: Retaliation, especially when the film was supposedly delayed to give the studio time to add more Channing Tatum? Then again, Tatum or no Tatum, this is still a sloppy and ugly design.
2. Bad Kids Go to Hell Clip: It’s one thing for a clip from a horror comedy to not be scary or funny, but it’s another for it to be flat-out irritating. Based on this scene from Bad Kids Go to Hell, not only is the film over-the-top excess, but the characters are so unlikeable it’s tough to imagine anyone lasting 91 minutes with them.
3. Storage 24 Trailer: Helpless people stuck in a public storage facility? Sounds like the start of a novel horror film concept to me. Too bad this new trailer for Storage 24 just leaves it at that, giving us zero access to further details or the characters, two things that are absolutely vital to selling that otherworldly villain we see a bit too much of. A more original score couldn’t hurt either.
What are your favorite and least favorite movie promos this week?