'Clash of the Titans' Director Says the Terrible 3D Was a Money-Stealing Gimmick

'Clash of the Titans' Director Says the Terrible 3D Was a Money-Stealing Gimmick

May 28, 2013

Time heals all wounds, though one would think from reading Mike Ryan's great interview with director Louis Leterrier that the wounds from making Clash of the Titans still haven't fully healed. Apparently three years is long enough to at least take an honest look back at what went wrong, though. Leterrier spoke to the Huffington Post about his new movie, the fun-looking magician heist Now You See Me, but naturally the topic of his fantasy remake's notoriously bad foray into 3D came up, and the Frenchman was pretty open about how poor it turned out:

It was famously rushed and famously horrible. It was absolutely horrible, the 3D. Nothing was working, it was just a gimmick to steal money from the audience. I'm a good boy and I rolled with the punches and everything, but it's not my movie. Clash of the Titans is not my movie. And ultimately that's why I didn't do the sequel.

It's a fun action movie, all in all. Some people are really happy with the movie. I tried to do the best I could, but it was not the best experience of my life, I must say. I wasn't protected. Talking about surrounding yourself with the right people -- I felt like I was really thrown at the wolves.

In case you don't recall, Clash of the Titans was the first major victim of studios trying to cash in on Avatar's massive popularity in 3D by postconverting to 3D when it was never planned for in the first place. It was done in a ridiculously fast timeline and the result became the poster child for why postconverted 3D was a dirty word. Of course, the technology has come a long way since then and productions have gotten much smarter about shooting in 2D but preparing for 3D, but at the time Clash of the Titans was synonymous with a bad time -- and it had nothing to do with the content of the movie itself (which is okay, but not great, to begin with).

Funnily enough, Leterrier isn't the first Clash veteran to speak out against the film. Star Sam Worthington also had some choice words for the troubled project back in 2010 when he said, "I think I can act f***ing better, to be honest ... Just take all the notes from people that I have been reading about on the Net and give them a movie they f***ing want. This one I want to kind of try to satisfy a lot more people." That didn't quite end up panning out (Wrath of the Titans may have looked better, but it was still a fairly vacant fantasy action movie), but we at least appreciate the honesty.

Also worth noting from that Leterrier interview, the director said he originally wanted to cast Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk in his The Incredible Hulk, but Marvel wouldn't let him because they thought Edward Norton was more famous. Funny how things work out in the long run.

Categories: News
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement

Facebook on Movies.com

The Burning Question

In the movie The Judge, what is the name of the character played by Robert Duvall

  • Joseph Palmer
  • No-Name
  • Colin
  • Gary
Get Answer Get New Question

Joseph Palmer